Sunday, October 23, 2016

Kernersville News interview with me

I got interviewed by the Kernersville News, the local newspaper where I live last Tuesday.  It's a three times a week paper still pumping out local news on paper.  I was initially contacted by Jennifer, the lifestyles editor in mid-September, and since I hardly use email anymore, I didn't see the email for two weeks.  But I replied, figuring I wouldn't hear back.  But I did, and I took several of my drawings to their office for the interview last week.  I was expecting a 15 or 20 minute interview and maybe a single photo in the paper, along with a few column inches of text.  Very much to my surprise, the article ran last Thursday, October 20, 2016.  It started on the lower left front page and covered nearly the whole back page of the first section.  A couple Facebook friends expressed interest in it, and I looked it up online only to find just the title and one sentence.  So I'm going to type the whole article here for those of you online who want to check it out.  Big thanks again to Jennifer Owensby Eminger, Kernersville News Lifestyles editor, for finding my Go Fund Me page, and deciding to interview me.
Here's the article as it appeared in the paper:

This blog is about 7-8 years old ( in 2023), and I have a new blog now, check it out!  I had no idea this blog was still getting quite a few views, please go to 
Steve Emig: The White Bear to see my recent writing and art.  

Creative Scenes
Artist Steven Emig using artwork to help fund publishing a book

By Jennifer Owensby Eminger/Lifestyles Editor

Despite having struggled as an artist and writer and having lived in homelessness for several years, local artist and writer Steven Emig has seen the world of action sports through working for magazines and TV production.  He is using his artwork to help fund publishing a book about how creative scenes turn into an industry.

Emig grew up in Ohio, living in Boise, Idaho and California for many years, before settling in Kernersville in 2008.  With aspirations to be a professional BMX rider and writer for a magazine, Emig learned how creative scenes can help build local economy.  Along the way, he has struggled to make ends meet, but he continues to do what he enjoys - art and writing.

Emig explained that his father was a design engineer, having started out as a draftsman, so naturally Emig has always been interested in drawing.

"My father taught me how to draw," he said.

Having grown up in the 70s and 80s, Emig got into BMX bikes and enjoyed riding with kids in his neighborhood.

"We always tried to outdo each other." he said.  "One day, we found a BMX race track.  They were having the last race of the year.  We raced and came home with trophies."

The next year, he started getting more into freestyle BMX riding and said it became his life.  In 1985, his family moved to San Jose, California where there was a big BMX freestyle scene.

Along with riding BMX bikes and drawing, Emig took an interest in writing and began writing zines (self-published miniature magazines), which he learned about in a freestyle magazine.

"It's pretty much what bloggers did before blogs," he said.

After his zines got noticed, Emig became more popular and eventually landed a position at Wizard Publications.  Over the years, Emig moved around to different jobs in the writing and production industry, having written articles and helping produce low budget films in the world of action sports, but never catching a break.

He shared that he has worked behind the scenes on shows such as American Gladiators and Cirque du Soleil.

Emig got out of the TV production world in 1995 to find a more stable job, moving furniture.

"You are always working on other people's ideas and I was getting sick of it," he said.

Eventually, Emig decided to get back into the industry and joined a lighting company, but when he began struggling to make ends meet again, he became a professional taxi driver for about five years.  Eventually, Emig said he became homeless and ill.

"I ended up living out of my taxi because I was struggling to make ends meet, working 16-18 hours a day," he said.

Having lost his way in art, Emig said his passion for art began to come back when a friend offered him a place to sleep in an art gallery, where he lived for several months.

"It was an underground indie art gallery called, AAA Electra 99," he said.  "I hadn't done anything creative in a while, but it was while I was living there for a month or so that I came up with my scribble style."

Emig explained that he drew some pictures for his niece and nephew in Greensboro and for his mom, who had moved to Kernersville.

Emig said during his downtime working as a taxi driver, he got really into drawing, reflecting on musicians and BMX riding.  Having gotten his passion back, Emig said he once again fell into despair when his long days of sitting caught up with him and he got a bacterial infection and was hospitalized.

"Driving a taxi, you sit too much and end up eating a lot of fast food," he said.

After walking out of the hospital with $15 to his name and unable to find a job, Emig said he ended up panhandling for about a year, until his family encouraged him to move to NC.

"I had all this experience writing and working in TV production, but on my resume there was a gap (where I had worked as a taxi driver)," he said.

In 2008, Emig finally moved to NC and has since been engaged in his artwork and blogging about his experiences.  He explained that initially he began drawing in black and white with pencil and then pen and ink, but has since moved to the use of Sharpies, which he turned to in 2005, using a scribble design.

Having experienced working in TV production and magazines, Emig is also working on writing a book and has started a GoFundMe page in hopes to getting help with funding.

"I have started a GoFundMe page, and right now, I am trying to write a book about how creative scenes eventually attract big industry.  I've been in a lot of these scenes throughout my life and have seen how they attract business,"  he said.

Emig is selling his art for $100/drawing and is giving his artwork away to people who contribute to helping fund his book.  He is also selling zines about his book for $5 to give people an idea about what to expect from the book.

Emig noted that he can also create a drawing for anyone interested in having one made.

"I work from photos.  I look at a photo and get a basic outline and then start scribbling ans shading," he said.

While Emig does work from photos, he said he is not great at re-creating faces unless it has heavy shadows," he said.

"I really like making drawings with heavy shadows," he said.

In each color on his drawings, Emig said there are actually four or five colors with different thickness of the Sharpie point.

"I almost always start with out with orange, lime green, or yellow and usually end up with the opposite color," he said.  "That's how I am able to do the shading."

Having been homeless and fearing he might die, Emig said the biggest lesson he has learned is, "Figure out what's most important to you and do it as much as you possibly can, because you never know how much time you have left on Earth."

I've put myself on a blog diet, and I'm down to one blog... really.
Steve Emig: The White Bear
You can find my newer stuff there.

1 comment: