Saturday, October 1, 2016

Karina Petroni Duck Dive Drawing

I had been wanting to try a surfing drawing, and I wanted to draw a good looking woman.  With those two things in mind, I immediately thought of Karina Petroni, a pro surfer that I gave a couple of rides to in my taxi in Huntington Beach years ago.  I couldn't find a surfing photo of her that would really work with my scribble style, but I loved this duck dive shot.  For all you non-surfers out there, a duck dive is when a surfer dives under an incoming wave (like a duck does) while paddling out.  I drew this one on one of my "backing sheets," as I call them.  Since I work with Sharpie markers, I always put a sheet of paper under the one I'm drawing so the markers don't bleed through to the fresh sheets underneath.  I also test markers to see how fresh they are and if that's the color I need at the time on the edge of my backing sheets,  So the pages end up framed in black and little blobs of different colors.  I think they look pretty cool, so I keep these backing sheets to draw on later.

Check out my new blog on building creative scenes:
How to make your lame city better

No comments:

Post a Comment